Sunday, March 9, 2008

Hacking the Drobo - Part II


Releasing my inner geek...

Well, that didn't take too long.

Although the unit really isn't designed to be taken apart, a good set of tools and a little patience is all that is required. What you can see in the photo is the drive enclosure, the top/back panel (all in one) with the old fan in place, and the outer shell. You can also see the 4 SATA hard drives lined up at the top right.

The only snag I hit was when I realized the replacement fan I bought had a different power connector. To remedy that, I just cut and spliced the old connector onto the new fan.

So the Drobo is now back online and the new fan is as quiet as a gentle summer breeze.

Let me repeat that these types of adventures are not for the faint of heart or the neophyte user. However, if I didn't fix it myself, this would have been a boat anchor. Basically I had nothing to lose. Not to mention I love doing this kind of stuff.

Post a Comment